J Ferg Knowledge Base
Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor
Roofs are one of the most important aspects of your home protecting your family and belongings from the sun, stormy weather, and animals. If your roof needs repair or replacement, the job can initially seem a bit intimidating. Selecting a contractor who will take care of your roof, property, and future repairs is an important task that shouldn’t be taken lightly. To make this process easier, we have gathered the top questions any homeowner should ask a roofing contractor before committing. These questions will ensure you have the necessary information to make an informed decision.
Get to Know the Business
The first step in choosing the right roofing contractor is getting to know the business and its reputation. For this, you might want to ask questions like:
- Are you insured?
- You need to know if the company has liability and workers comp insurance. You shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for any injuries or damages.
- Are you bonded?
- If the company closes during their work on your home, the bond company will take over to make sure that your home is repaired.
- What is your company’s physical address?
- A contractor that doesn’t have a physical address is usually a red flag. When researching a company, it is a good idea to find them on the Better Business Bureau’s accredited business list to ensure they are a legitimate business.
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have references or testimonials?
- How do you ensure the project is completed on time?
Most reputable contractors will already have answers to these questions available on their website or Google Business profile. One of the best ways to find out if a company is reputable and trustworthy is to pay attention to their reviews. A few bad reviews aren’t always a major red flag, but ensure people generally have positive things to say.
Ask About the Details of the Job
Not every contractor works the same, so it’s important to find someone who will work best with your specific conditions. Some important questions to ask here include:
- Who will be working on my roof? Who do I talk to if there is a problem?
- Communication is key when it comes to repairs and your home. Ensure you know who you should be talking to and that you have a clear line of communication with those actually performing the work.
- What does the work schedule look like?
- When having work done on your home, you want to experience as little inconvenience as possible. Ensure that the roofing contractor you are hiring will work well with your schedule and timeline.
- Can I get a list of common roof repairs and their pricing?
- Sometimes when tackling one roofing problem, other problems may be uncovered. Already having a list of options and some pricing estimates can help homeowners make an informed decision if other issues arise.
- How will you protect my yard and property (is that written in the contract)?
- Can I get a copy of the roofing manufacturer’s warranties and your workmanship warranties?
On top of these previous questions, here are some additional questions you may want to ask:
- What happens if there is an issue with my installation?
- How will the payments with this job be handled? Do you offer financing options?
- Have you completed previous jobs similar to mine?
Not all roofing contractors are created equal, so it’s important to ask these questions at the beginning to make a responsible decision about who you hire. While a job may seem like a quick fix, a faulty installation or repair can result in a huge headache down the road.