According to LEDA, Lubbock is the 11th largest city in Texas. The second largest west of Interstate 35 and is projected to grow 7 percent through 2022. With the growth of our population and the surround areas. Most of all, means growth in Commercial Flat Roofing and businesses. Below are some of the main materials we use when doing commercial based roofing systems.
Commercial Flat Roof Materials
A TPO membrane is highly flexible and durable, which possess strong resistance to tears, punctures and impact damage. The flexibility of the membrane will allow for a buildings movement and setting without compromising the roofs performance. Having a thicker TPO membrane results in better weathering resistance, and protection against solar UV.
A commercial flat roof building can save money on energy costs by installing a white TPO roof. Furthermore, the white color will reflect the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Which results in keeping the space inside cooler. Making sure that the TPO roof membrane you are planning to purchase has appropriate cool roof properties. You’ll want to make sure that the TPO installed on your commercial building meets the initial and three year energy star requirements.
Modified Bitumen uses a two-ply system for commercial flat roof. Which comes in rolls. These rolls will overlap each other when applied. Furthermore, there are a couple ways that modified bitumen is applied.
- Heated Application
- Torch: The seams of modified bitumen can be heated with a torch to seal them.
- Hot Mop: This is another method that is used to seal the seams.
- Cold Application
- This method is to not use heat at all. Instead, self-adhesive strops of membrane can be put together without any heat at all.
Modified Bitumen is a common commercial flat roof system. It is the most popular type in modern day roofing. Therefore, takes up about twenty percent of the commercial roofing market. Lastly, modified bitumen is made up from asphalt and different rubber materials.
Built Up Roofing:
Built Up roofing systems have had a long-standing popularity. BUR has proven reliability and success. They have roofs that are still in excellent condition after 20 years. Below are some roofs that built up roofing roofs offer:
- Multi-Layer Protection: The multiple layers of bitumen and bitumen saturated felts make a water resistant barrier. Which can provide many years of reliable protection from different elements.
- Thermal Performance: Built up roofing systems demonstrate remarkable resistance to the conduction of heat. Between the interior and exterior of a building. Furthermore, leaving noticeable reductions with your heating and cooling costs.
- Fire and Uplift Resistance: Built up roofing systems are tested through underwriters laboratories and FM approvals. It must meet a very strict fire resistance requirements. Which is to ensure adequate uplift resistance under extreme wind conditions.
- Economy: Compared to other high performance commercial roofing systems. Built up roofing is one of the best in the market. Which is due to its reasonable cost per year of expected service life.
SPF based roof systems are created by mixing and spraying a two component liquid. Which forms the base of an adhered roof system. The SPF roofing can be installed in many types of thicknesses to provide a slope to the drain. Or meet a specified thermal resistance. Lastly, a protective surfacing is applied to the foam which will provide protection from the elements.
- Component One: SPF based roof system is rigid, closed cell, spray polyurethane foam insulation. SPF is combined of a couple components, isocyanate and polyol. Transfer pumps are used to get the components to a proportioning unit that properly meters the two at a one to one ratio and heats and pumps them through dual hoses. Therefore the components are then mixed at the spray gun. Which is used to apply them to a substrate.
- Component Two: The protective surfacing. Typically is a spray applied elastomeric coating. Although, hand and power rollers can be used. The surfacing also can be a membrane. The purpose of the surfacing is to provide weatherproofing. As well as protection, the foam from UV exposure. Lastly, it provides protection from mechanical damage. Therefore, assists with the fire-resistant characteristics of the roof system.
In conclusion, with Lubbock and the surrounding areas continuing to grow. Make sure you have a trusted Commercial Flat Roofing Contractor. J Ferg Pros has been trusted since 2006 with our community. We pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. Furthermore, making us your premiere roofing contractor.